Too damn busy…Posted on Friday, May 4th, 2007 @ 9:35am » permalink
I really wanted to get a write-up of the 2xCD reissue of Thanatos' "Emerging From the Netherworlds" (from Areadeath Productions, a totally badass label that I'll be covering several releases from in the coming weeks) up today, but I've been slammed this week and just couldn't pull it off. So instead, I'll just rant about a few random topics that have been hovering in the back of my mind lately, in no particular order:
1. The new Machine Head album. "The Blackening". Not a big deal. I'm a longtime Machine Head fan. I own most everything they've done. But this is not their best album, this is not the best thing they've done since "Burn My Eyes", and like I said… this is not a big deal. Long songs do not an "…And Justice for All" make, and there's really nothing about this record that lives up to any of the hype. And man, I am sick of the fucking hype. It's the most consistent album they've released since "The More Things Change…", but it's not very memorable at all. There were several songs on "Through the Ashes of Empires" that had more impact than anything on "The Blackening". I'm just sayin'…
2. The new Shadows Fall album. "Threads of Life". Too much hype, too little delivery. Major label, blah, blah, blah… who cares? Again, I'm a big fan of this band and have been for many years, and this is a decent record, but the songs don't really hit me much. They're not that memorable. "The War Within" shits all over this thing in the songwriting department. More importantly, however… what the fuck is up with that cover art? I mean, god damn, I'm sorry, but the color scheme, the subject matter, the execution… that thing's one hell of an eyesore. No offense, but how is it possible that five grown men all greenlighted that thing and got it past the peeps at Atlantic Records!? Talk about testing the limits of "artistic control"!
3. This article on The End Records blows my mind in a million different ways. I mean… CNNMoney.com? Forbes Small Business? The End Records? What!? "Sales in 2006 were $3.5 million…" What!? "His $6,000 monthly office rent…" What!? And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I mean, shit, my head is fucking spinning, man… I had no idea. No idea. It seems unreal. Completely and totally unreal.
4. Last night someone sent me a link to this article about G7 Welcoming Committee and their decision to stop selling CD's in favor of "digital albums". I can't handle it. I simply can't handle it. I can respect their decision on several levels, but I hate it, I disagree with it, and I'm going to have a heart attack and die when it gets to the point that CD's just don't exist anymore. Yes, I'm that stubborn. I mean, Propagandhi is one of my favorite bands of all time. Love 'em. But I refuse to buy mp3's (or "digital albums", if you prefer). Won't do it. I don't give a fuck if there's downloadable artwork and all that shit. I'm old fashioned. I want the tangible item in my hands and will settle for nothing less. This is a sad, sad state of affairs. Ugh.
5. Some people tend to make fun of me and think I'm an idiot for liking Alien Ant Farm. But – ignoring the band name – I challenge you to deny that this is an incredible fucking song (kind of a cool video, too):